Tasmania - Hobart
Welcome to Hobart! Actually, welcome to Clarence. Hobart's airport is in the far corner of its eastern suburb across the River Derwent, nestled in by Pitt Water and Tiger Head Bay. From the airplane, Mt. Rumney is behind the terminal.
While I'm on the way to Hobart from the airport, here are some views from Clarence of Hobart below Queen's Domain (the low hill in the foreground of the 2nd and 4th photos, just right of the bridge) and Mt. Wellington (enshrouded by morning clouds). The last photo is on Tasman Bridge (Highway A3) and the others are from Derwent Highway (B32).
The view east from Hobart, specifically South Hobart along Huon Road (Highway B64). Howrah and Tranmere are in the foreground, with Big Blue Hill and Mt. Forestier in the distance.
The Royal Engineers Building anchors the southeast corner of Hobart, at the junction of its three major highways (National Highway 1, Highways A3 and A6). It was built in 1847 of finest sandstone.
The Hobart Gas Company electric light station is situated in the southern crook of the same intersection. The engine house dates to 1898 and the chimney dates to 1901, when the electric facility switched from gas power to steam power after 3 whole years. (Before that, they had gas lights instead of electric lights. That's why they're the gas company.)
Continuing west on Davey Street, behold the splendor and fear the lion of the 1902 Custom House, now the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery. It was the second in a series of Customs Houses in Hobart.
The Maritime Museum took over the 1907 Carnegie Library.
The Waterloo (1908), featuring verandahs from the original convict-built building (no later than 1823), and looking up Murray Street for more historic buildings. The one with the red awnings was the 1859 Hobart Savings Bank, and the others are clearly of similar age.
The 1857 Davey Street Congregational Church, now used as a performance venue, is flanked by the 1875 Hobart Real Tennis Club (first photo) and #49 Davey Street (1880).
Moving on to Battery Point, the 1847 Tooth's Brewery still has its old malt house and chimney, along with its historic wall along Sandy Bay Road (Highway B68). Its subsequent use as a hat factory helped preserve it.
The most famous beer in Tassie, Cascade dates to 1824 but its South Hobart factory went up in 1832.
Cascades Female Factory
Big Slide Rule and other Big Things
National Highway 1
Up Mount Wellington
Back to Tasmania Non-Roads
Back to Non-Roads main page