New Jersey Roads - NJ State Highways - 25-30

NJ State Highways: 25-30

25   25A   25AD   25B   25M   S25   25T   25 Link   26   26A   S26   27   27 and 28 Link   28   28A   S28   28 and 29 Link   29   29A   29B   S29   US 30   30


In 1916, 1 was legally set out to go from Elizabeth to New Brunswick and New Brunswick to Trenton (via Hightstown and Robbinsville), with a gap in New Brunswick. Existing roads were used, except for a section in northern Middlesex County, where a new road was built on the northwest side of the railroad to avoid two grade crossings. The former road is now known as Middlesex-Essex Turnpike. The route was extended in 1922 from the south border of Elizabeth to the proposed tunnel to Manhattan (Holland Tunnel). I doubt the route was ever state-maintained through downtown Newark; a
1927 map on Jimmy and Sharon Williams' website shows a complicated routing that was probably signed but only locally maintained: Broad St to Walnut St, Mulberry St, Elm St (now one-way west), a likely one-way pair of Columbia St / Liberty St, Lafayette St, and Congress St to Passaic St (now Raymond Blvd). These turns appear to have been designed to avoid busy intersections downtown along Broad St and Raymond Blvd, and may have taken advantage of the highest clearance along the Northeast Corridor (Lafayette St is 14', Elm St is 13'). 2 was defined legislatively in 1916 to go from Trenton to Camden along already-existing roads. It was extended in 1922 to the proposed bridge to Philadelphia (Ben Franklin Bridge), and a spur was added to the Tacony-Palmyra Ferry (which was later taken over as S41N).
In 1927, 25 was designated to use old 1 from near the east border of Newark eastward to the Holland Tunnel. In and south of Newark, it would use a new alignment east of old 1 (old 1 from Newark to New Brunswick became part of 27). South of New Brunswick, 25 would rejoin old 1, and run along it south to Robbinsville (west of which old 1 would be 33). The road from Robbinsville to Bordentown would be new to the state highway system, but already existed as part of the Bordentown & South Amboy Turnpike. 25 would then use old 2 from Bordentown to the bridge from Camden to Philadelphia (old 2 north of Bordentown became 37 and 39).
Most of the road from the 1916 system was taken over by NJDOT prior to the 1927 renumbering. Here's a table of the relevant parts that became 25:

sectionlocationdatewhat it was previously
takeoverupper level in Jersey City3/1925
28.3lower level in Jersey City1928new
Tonnele Circle to 440
(1) ?440 to Newark1922
gap from Newark to New Brunswick
(1) takeoverNew Brunswick to Cranbury or Middlesex/Mercer County Line7/1/1919George's Road
(1) 5Cranbury or Middlesex/Mercer County Line to S Main St, Hightstown7/1/1919George's Road
(1) 4S Main St, Hightstown to Windsor6/1/1919Bordentown & South Amboy Turnpike
(1) 3Windsor to 336/1/1919Bordentown & South Amboy Turnpike
gap from 33 to Bordentown
(2) 2Bordentown to Kinkora9/1/1919Burlington Turnpike
(2) 1Kinkora to Burlington3/20/1919Burlington Turnpike
(2) takeover?Burlington to Beverly Rd, Burlington9/1/1919Camden & Westville Turnpike
(2) takeoverBeverly Rd, Burlington to Pennsauken9/1/1919Camden & Westville Turnpike

Burlington was bypassed in 1925, when it was still 2. The southbound side of US 130 is the original bypass in Burlington. The northbound side was added in 1963 (after 25 died). The new route in the Camden area was built just after the renumbering, including a one-way pair on Penn St and Linden St approaching the Ben Franklin Bridge:

1/1Anorth of Browning Rd, Pennsauken1927
2/2ABrowning Rd to Marlton Pike, Pennsauken1927
3/3A/3BMarlton Pike, Pennsauken to 381929
1/2B38 to Ben Franklin Bridge1929

The route completing the gap southeast of Trenton was also built soon after the renumbering; this included a bypass of Bordentown:

sectionlocationdatewhat it was previously
1B33 to Mercer/Burlington county line1928Bordentown & South Amboy Turnpike
3Mercer/Burlington county line to 5451929Bordentown & South Amboy Turnpike north of split, new south of split
2545 to 4th St, Burlington1928new

Here's a table of when the new route from Newark to south of New Brunswick was built:

sectionlocationdatewhat it was previously
11Pulaski Skyway in Newark (north of Newark Airport)1928new
takeoverold Newark Airport (near I-78) to North Ave, Elizabeth1929
16North Ave to Flora St, Elizabeth1929Spring St
17Flora St to Jersey St, Elizabeth1929Spring St
18/19Jersey St to Grove St, Elizabeth (viaduct)1930new
20Grove St, Elizabeth to 4391929new
8B439 to Wood Ave, Linden1931new in Elizabeth, Edgar Turnpike in Linden
8CWood Ave, Linden to Grand Ave, Rahway1930Edgar Turnpike
7Grand Ave, Rahway to 351930new
635 to Amboy Ave, Edison1929new
5Amboy Ave, Edison to Raritan River1930new
4Raritan River to 1711930new

Before 1930, 25 entered New Brunswick on 171 and ended downtown. This later became 25M. Here are the rest of the bypasses that were built:

6/7/8Pulaski Skyway, Tonnele Circle to Newark1933
10A/11ANorth Brunswick1928?

Before 1937, 25 went through Hightstown and Cranbury on 33 and Main St. Until 1942, 25 used Georges Rd through Dayton and Deans. Except for the Pulaski Skyway (which got a second Newark span for northbound traffic in 1949) and the Yardville bypass, the old route was removed from the state system upon being bypassed. Trucks were banned from the Pulaski Skyway soon after it opened, and at some point thereafter, 25 Link (the original number for the Skyway) was decommissioned, 25 was rerouted onto the Skyway, and the old route became 25T on the section that wasn't also 1. Once US 1-9 were moved onto the Skyway, the old route became US 1-9 Truck. At Yardville, the old route became 156 after a year due to the GR.
In the 1953 renumbering, 25 was removed from Bus. US 1 (which later became 139) east of Tonnele Circle. From Tonnele Circle to south of New Brunswick, 25 was removed from US 1. From south of New Brunswick to Crescent Circle in Camden, 25 was removed from US 130, and it was removed from US 30 to the Ben Franklin Bridge.

ROUTE NO. 25. JERSEY CITY TO CAMDEN, via Jersey City, Kearny, thence via present Lincoln Highway, crossing the Hackensack and Passaic Rivers, thence via Newark, Elizabeth, Rahway, Woodbridge, crossing Raritan River near Weston's Mills, New Brunswick, thence southerly near Bodine's Corner, thence via Cranbury Turnpike through Deans, Dayton, Cranbury, Hightstown, Bordentown, Burlington and Camden. L. 1927, c. 319.
ROUTE NO. 25. Jersey City to Camden via Jersey City, Kearny, via present Lincoln highway crossing the Hackensack and Passaic rivers, then by way of Newark, Elizabeth, Rahway, Woodbridge, crossing Raritan river near Weston Mills at New Brunswick, thence southerly, intersecting Cranbury turnpike near Bodines Corner, thence via Cranbury turnpike through Deans, Dayton, Cranbury, Hightstown, Bordentown, Burlington and Camden. L. 1929, c. 57, p. 95, s. 1.
ROUTE NO. 25, Extension. Extending State Highway Route No. 25, at or near its intersection with Westfield avenue, in the township of Pennsauken, county of Camden and State of New Jersey, by direct route to Delaware river bridge on the alignment of or roughly parallel to the alignment of Westfield avenue or Federal street in the township of Pennsauken, and City of Camden, New Jersey. L. 1947, c. 55, p. 192, s. 1.

End photos


25A was planned in 1939 as a spur from
25 in Jersey City west into Newark north of downtown. It was built from Harrison west into Newark in two stages; the first, from 508 west to 21, opened in 1948, and was extended westward to Clifton Ave. in 1954. 25A became 58 in the GR, and is now I-280 from Exit 14A (Clifton Ave) to Exit 16 (Harrison). The road was planned to extend west past Livingston, and that part was also eventually turned into I-280, as was an eastern extension of 25A as far as the Exit 17 ramps into 508. Here is a table of when 25A was constructed:

1508 to 211948
321 to Clifton Ave1954

ROUTE NO. 25A. Beginning at a point in State Highway Route No. 25 in Jersey City and extending via Jersey City, Kearny, Harrison, across the Passaic river at or near the present Bridge street bridge between the counties of Essex and Hudson to and connecting with State Highway Route No. 21 and Clifton avenue in Newark. L.1939, c. 198, p. 575, s. 1. Amended by L.1945, c. 58, p. 334, s. 1.


25AD became
158 in the GR. It was a bridge across the Passaic River south of 25A. When 25A became 58 in the GR, 25AD became 158. From Myles Putman: "This road and bridge between Newark and Harrison was originally an old Pennsylvania RR freight spur that came into Newark from Harrison, over the Passaic River and ended at Saybrook Place... It was apparently retrofitted for highway traffic [and opened in 1943 - Bridgewater Courier-News] and still appeared on the 1960 state highway map (General Drafting) as part of the public highway system. There’s basically no mention of it at all in the state highway laws (which would have authorized the state to assume jurisdiction)." At some point after 1960 and before 1966, the bridge was removed from service and 158 ceased to exist. It was dismantled in 1979, though evidence of the approaches still exists on the Harrison side.


25B was planned in 1939 as a route from
25 near the Newark Airport, past the main airport entrance, and back north to end at 25T. It was only built as a bridge over the New Jersey Turnpike and a railroad east of the airport. Otherwise, 25B used Port St and Doremus Ave. It became 65 in the 1953 renumbering, and was later given up by the state.

ROUTE NO. 25B. Beginning on Route No. 25 of the present State highway system in the city of Newark, county of Essex, in the vicinity of the traffic circle at the Newark Municipal Airport, thence along Port street and Doremus avenue connecting with the Lincoln Highway, which is part of the present State highway system Route No. 25. L.1939, c. 317, p. 764, s. 1.


25M eventually became
171, but it first became part of US 130 in the GR; it was part of 25 before 1930. Pre-1927 1 was taken over south from New Brunswick on 7/1/1919 (only outside New Brunswick; the part inside New Brunswick was never state-maintained). In the 1927 renumbering it became 25 south of the junction with S26, but north from there to New Brunswick was not given a number. By 1934 it was given the number 25M. In the 1953 renumbering, this became part of US 130, which extended north to downtown New Brunswick. US 130 was truncated at the north end to US 1 in 1969, and former 25M, as well as the locally maintained extension into New Brunswick, became 171.
A second 25M may have been what I have listed below as 25T. It is listed as 25M in many newspaper sources, possibly even extending along Raymond Blvd into Newark (Central NJ Home News 6/25/38, Bridgewater Courier-News 10/28/38, Keyport Enterprise 4/2/42, Ridgewood Sunday News 6/28/42). If that is the case, Raymond Blvd would likely have been 25M since NJSHD typically used M for bypassed spur alignments, but it is unclear whether 25M or 25T was the designation east of Pulaski Skyway.


S25 became
413 in the GR to match PA 413. It was never state maintained.

ROUTE NO. S-25. Beginning at a point in Route No. 25 near Washington Avenue, Burlington, and extending to the proposed Burlington-Bristol Bridge. L. 1929, c. 57, p. 95, s. 1.


25T was probably the number given to former
25 south of 1 at some time after the Pulaski Skyway opened in 1933. (There is some discrepancy between this, 25M, or just plain 25.) This was part of a designation swap that saw 25 moved onto the Skyway, eliminating 25 Link. "T" stood for "TRUCKS," because the Skyway did not allow them. It is unclear whether the designation swap happened simultaneously with the truck ban or at some point thereafter in the 1930s. It became the east-west portion of US 1-9 Truck in the GR.

End photos

25 Link

25 Link (or "25 Connecting Link") was the planning number and original designation of the Pulaski Skyway during construction and upon opening. During this time,
25 continued to use the old road (now US 1-9 Truck). At the time of the truck ban on the Skyway (see the 25 entry for more info) or shortly thereafter, 25 Link was eliminated by a designation swap that saw 25 moved onto the Skyway and the creation of 25T on the old road that now became the truck route. A 1942 NJDOT map shows 25 C.L. labeled on US 1-9 Truck. This may have been an error for 25T or the name 25 Link may have been swapped with 25 for some time before 25T was created.


26 was planned in 1927 as a state takeover of the completely straight Trenton & New Brunswick Turnpike. The south end was at Brunswick Circle, with
27 continuing to the Trenton line. 26 ended at the New Brunswick line, but signage continued along Livingston Ave to George St, which was S28. US 1 used 26 from 25 southward. Here is a table of when sections of 26 were taken over by the state:

sectionlocationdatewhat it was previously
1US 206 to Delaware & Raritan Canal1930Trenton & New Brunswick Turnpike
2BDelaware & Raritan Canal to 5711929
3571 to old 5221928
4old 522 to Deans Ln1929
5Deans Ln to New Brunswick?1929

In 1931 or early 1932, the state opened a new road through Trenton, from the Brunswick Circle to the Calhoun Street Bridge. The road was built as a joint undertaking by Trenton, Mercer County, and the state. It may have been part of 26, but I have no proof of that; it is shown as being state-maintained on a 1941 NJDOT map. The route left the Brunswick Circle on a newly-built road known as Brunswick Circle Extension, which merged into already-existing Princeton Ave. From there the state route left onto another new road, Calhoun Street Extension. This road angled over to the existing Calhoun St to the bridge. The Calhoun Street Bridge was limited to 8-ton vehicles, so trucks continued to use the old route through downtown, which likely was always 26. At some point, the new route was turned over to Mercer County, and remains county maintained as 645, 583, and 653 [NYT 8/16/1931, p. 108, NYT 1/31/1932, p. XX8]
The Trenton Freeway was mostly built as an extension of 26:

Delaware River to 3312/1/1952
1C33 to Perry St1951
2DPerry St to Brunswick Circle1953
3ABrunswick Circle connection to Whitehead Rd1955

In the 1953 renumbering, 26 kept its number north of S26 to the New Brunswick line and became just plain US 1 south of S26, including the almost-complete Trenton Freeway south from Brunswick Circle. At some point in the 1970's, 26 was removed from city-maintained Livingston Ave north of the New Brunswick line. When the Trenton Freeway was finished from the Brunswick Circle connection to Whitehead Rd, it was numbered 174. It wasn't until 1973 that the rest of the freeway was finished and 174 became US 1, with old US 1 (and old 26) becoming Bus. US 1.
There is an old NORTH 26 assembly on Livingston St just north of Suydam St, which is where 171 now joins onto Livingston St (and CR 691 ends). Since this has always been city-maintained, even though the sign is now on the wrong route, it is unlikely to be removed in the near future.

ROUTE NO. 26. TRENTON TO NEW BRUNSWICK, via Trenton turnpike to Mile Run brook in city of New Brunswick. L. 1927, c. 319.
ROUTE NO. . Beginning at the Trenton end of the Trenton-Morrisville bridge at the foot of Bridge street and proceeding thence to Route No. 26. L.1943, c. 28, p. 62, s. 1.

26: From junction Route U. S. 1 (former Routes 26 and S-26), via former Route 26 to New Brunswick City line. 1953 renumbering.

End photos

ends at Route 1 (US 1)
North BrunswickLivingston Ave
ends at Nassau St


26A was taken over before 1941 as Jersey Ave from
26 north to Van Dyke Ave, where signage probably continued to 27 in New Brunswick. It appears to have been built as 26 Link (or 26 Connecting Link) based on early newspaper articles. 26A was renumbered to 91 in the GR.


S26 was a short section of the New Brunswick bypass, connecting
26, which went to downtown New Brunswick, to 25, which turned south toward Cranbury. It was taken over by the state in 1929 and was cosigned with US 1 until the GR, when it was removed.

ROUTE NO. S-26. Beginning at a point in Route No. 26 near the southerly boundary line of city of New Brunswick and extending easterly by passing the city of New Brunswick to a point in Route No. 25. L. 1927, c. 319.

End photos

27 runs from Princeton to Newark along original
US 1, the Lincoln Highway. Before the GR, 27 extended south to the Pennsylvania state line along US 206 and old US 1. Everything starting at the southern US 206 junction was pre-1927 13. In Elizabeth, 27 south was moved at some point onto a different alignment from 27 north, changing the east end of 28 by one block. 27 ended at US 1 until the freeway bypass of Newark was built, at which point Broad St became unnumbered.

ROUTE NO. 27. Howland Hook bridge plaza to Trenton by way of Elizabeth, Rahway, Metuchen, New Brunswick, Princeton and Trenton. Original bill.
ROUTE NO. 27. NEWARK PLAZA TO TRENTON. Beginning in the city of Newark, on Frelinghuysen avenue, in the vicinity of Astor street, by way of Frelinghuysen avenue to Elizabeth, Rahway, Metuchen, New Brunswick, Princeton and Trenton. L. 1927, c. 319.
27: From junction Route U. S. 206 (former Route 31) Princeton, via former Route 27 to Astor Street in Newark. 1953 renumbering.

End photos

ends at Bayard Ln (US 206
Princeton BoroughNassau St
Princeton TwpLincoln Ave
FranklinMain St, Lincoln Hwy
New BrunswickSomerset St, French St, Albany St
Highland ParkAlbany St, Raritan Ave
EdisonLincoln Hwy
MetuchenMiddlesex Ave, Essex Ave, Lake Ave, Middlesex Ave
EdisonLincoln Hwy
WoodbridgeLincoln Hwy
RahwayLincoln Ave, St Georges Ave
LindenW St Georges Ave, E St Georges Ave
ElizabethRahway Ave, [Rahway Ave, Cherry St](Chilton St, Westfield Ave), Westfield Ave, N Broad St, Newark Ave
NewarkFrelinghuysen Ave, Poinier St
ends at Broad St/McClellan Hwy (21)

27 and 28 Link

When pre-1927 9 was renumbered to
28 (in 1927), the part in Elizabeth east of Elmora Ave wasn't given to 28 because 28 turned south on Elmora Ave toward the Goethals Bridge. Instead, that part of pre-1927 9 was numbered as 27 and 28 Link. In the 1953 renumbering, it became part of 28.

ROUTE NO. 28. ... with a spur beginning at the intersection of Westfield avenue and Cherry street, Elizabeth, at State Route No. 27, and extending westerly along Westfield avenue to the intersection of Westfield avenue and Elmora avenue... Amended by L.1938, c. 17, p. 61, s. 1.

End photos


9 was defined in 1916 to run from the Elizabeth line to the Phillipsburg line, with a gap at Plainfield. It appears to have been all taken over by 1920, including the Easton Turnpike. In 1927 it was renumbered to 28, except that 28 left the old route at Elmora Ave in Elizabeth and went southeast to the proposed bridge to Staten Island (the Goethals Bridge opened 6/29/1928). Pre-1927 9 east of Elmora Ave (assuming it actually entered Elizabeth by 1927) became
27 and 28 Link. Here's a table of when each section was built or taken over by NJDOT:

(9) takeoverPhillipsburg to Bloomsbury9/1/1919
(9) 16ABloomsbury to West Portal9/1/1919
(9) 1West Portal to Bethlehem/Union line1920
(9) 2Bethlehem/Union line to Perryville1920
(9) takeoverPerryville to Whitehouse9/1/1919
(9) 13Whitehouse to Hunterdon/Somerville county line9/1/1919
(9) 14Hunterdon/Somerville county line to North Branch?9/1/1919
(9) 8North Branch to US 202/US 2069/1/1919
(9) 7US 202/US 206 to Finderne Ave9/1/1919
(9) takeoverFinderne Ave to Bridgewater/Bound Brook line9/1/1919
(9) 5Bridgewater/Bound Brook line to Somerset/Middlesex county line9/1/1919
(9) takeoverSomerset/Middlesex county line to Middlesex/Dunellen line9/1/1919
no information in or east of Dunellen

Various bypasses were built over the years, all of which saw the old alignment given back to the county:

(9) 16/16ABloomsbury bypass1927
22ALebanon bypass1943
24B/25A/25BWhitehouse bypass1942
25B/26ANorth Branch bypass1943

Other bypasses that left 28 in place were 24 and 28 Link around Phillipsburg, 28 and 29 Link in Somerville, and 29 east of Somerville. Along with I-78 from Phillipsburg to Clinton, these bypasses provide a fully four-lane divided route for US 22, which originally followed all of 28 across the state. The route through Plainfield has never been state-maintained; at some point, a new westbound path was signed thgough downtown and the old route became eastbound only.
In the 1953 renumbering, 28's west end was truncated to the junction with 28 and 29 Link west of Somerville, which was removed from US 22. The renumbering law states that 28 extends west of North Branch, but this is a likely error since former 28 was already a county route following the opening of section 25B/26A. West of 28 and 29 Link, 28 became US 22 to 24 and 28 Link east of Phillipsburg, which also became part of US 22. Into Phillipsburg, 28 became Alt. US 22 (which later became 122). In addition, 28 east of Elmora Ave in Elizabeth became 439 to match NY 439, while 28 was extended into downtown Elizabeth on 27 and 28 Link.
At some point, a new alignment was designated for 27 south in downtown Elizabeth. It left the old two-way route at 28, went west on 28 for a block, and then went south to return to 27 north. Thus 28 was made a block shorter, although possibly not immediately, and some old signs still create confusion. Also, once US 22 was moved onto I-78 between Greenwich and Annandale, the old route (former 28) became 173.

ROUTE NO. 28. Elizabeth to Phillipsburg, by way of Elizabeth, Cranford, Westfield, Plainfield, Bound Brook, Somerville, Clinton to Phillipsburg. Original bill.
ROUTE No. 28. ELIZABETH TO PHILLIPSBURG. Beginning at Elizabeth-Howland Hook Bridge Plaza, thence via Bayway to Westfield Avenue, Elizabeth, Cranford, Westfield, Plainfield, Bound Brook, Somerville, Clinton to Phillipsbuirg. L. 1927, c. 319.
ROUTE NO. 28. Elizabeth to Phillipsburg; beginning at Elizabeth-Howland Hook bridge plaza, thence by way of Bayway, South Elmora avenue and Elmora avenue to Westfield avenue, Elizabeth, with a spur beginning at the intersection of Westfield avenue and Cherry street, Elizabeth, at State Route No. 27, and extending westerly along Westfield avenue to the intersection of Westfield avenue and Elmora avenue, thence via Cranford, Westfield, Plainfield, Bound Brook, Somerville, Clinton to Phillipsburg. Amended by L.1938, c. 17, p. 61, s. 1.
28: From intersection Route U. S. 22, (former Route 28-29 Connection) west of North Branch, via former Route 28 through the Town of North Branch to junction of Route U. S. 206 (former Route 31) and Route U. S. 202 (former Route 29), via former Route 28 to Plainfield corporate line, via local streets through Plainfield to Fanwood, via former Route 28 to former Route 27-28 Connection, via former Route 27-28 Connection to Route 27, Elizabeth. 1953 renumbering.

End photos

ends at Route 22 (US 22)
BridgewaterRoute 28
SomervilleWest End Ave, W Main St, E Main St, N Gaston Ave, Union Ave
BridgewaterUnion Ave
Bound BrookW Union Ave, E Union Ave
MiddlesexUnion Ave, Bound Brook Rd
DunnellenNorth Ave
PlainfieldW Front St, Plainfield Ave, [Plainfield Ave, W 5th St, E 5th St](W 4th St, E 4th St, Roosevelt Ave), E 5th St, South Ave
FanwoodSouth Ave
Scotch PlainsSouth Ave
WestfieldSouth Ave W, Route 28, North Ave W, North Ave
GarwoodNorth Ave
CranfordNorth Ave
Rochelle ParkW Westfield Ave, E Westfield Ave
ElizabethWestfield Ave
ends at Cherry St (27 southbound)


1950 census maps show 28A as a renumbering of
24-28 Link, absorbed into US 22 in the 1953 renumbering.

Old Number: 28-A ................... New Number: US-22 - "Jersey Renumbered," New York Times, December 28, 1952, page X15.


S28 was defined in 1927 as a spur from
28 southeast through New Brunswick to Matawan. Sections were built or taken over by the state between New Brunswick and Old Bridge:

sectionlocationdatewhat it was previously
3Commercial Ave, New Brunswick to US 11933Georges Rd, Clifton Ave, Old Bridge & New Brunswick Turnpike
1AUS 1 to 5271932Old Bridge & New Brunswick Turnpike
1527 to 5351932new
2535 to Rues Ln1932new
2ARues Ln to 516/5271932new

S28 was only built north of CR 516/527 in Old Bridge to 27 in New Brunswick by the time the GR rolled around, and then S28 became 18. The number 18 had come up in 1939 as a legislated route from Old Bridge southeast to Eatontown; history of the part of 18 south of Old Bridge is in the 18 entry. At the north end, S28 crossed the Raritan River with 27 and went along the river on River Rd, Lincoln Blvd, Main St, and Mountain Ave, to end at 28 in Bound Brook. At the south end, it went east on CR 516 to 79. These two routes were never taken over by the state, but were probably signed as S28.

ROUTE NO. S-29. Following Washington avenue in the borough of Middlesex and the River road in township of Piscataway and borough of Highland Park from Route No. 29 in borough of Middlesex to Route No. 27 in borough of Highland Park. Original bill (S29 became S28).
ROUTE NO. S-28. Beginning at Route No. 28 in Borough of Middlesex, thence via Raritan Avenue and River Road to Route No. 27 Highland Park, thence via Route No. 27 to New Brunswick, thence via Weston's Mills, Tanners Corner, Old Bridge and Browntown to Route No. 4 in Matawan. L. 1927, c. 319.
ROUTE NO. S-28. Beginning in Route 28 where the same is intersected by Raritan avenue in the borough of Middlesex, thence via Raritan avenue in the borough of Middlesex, and the River road in the township of Piscataway to Route No. 27 in the borough of Highland Park, thence via Route No. 27 to New Brunswick, thence to Matawan by way of Weston Mills, Tanners' Corner, Oldbridge and Browntown to Route No. 4 in Matawan. Amended by L.1938, c. 17, p. 61, s. 1.

28 and 29 Link

28 and 29 Link was built in 1949 as a bypass of Somerville from
28 on the west to 29 and 31 on the east, north of downtown Somerville. It immediately became part of US 22, and was taken off of US 22 in the 1953 renumbering. A previous proposal was floated to link 28 and 29 in Middlesex to bypass or correct flooding concerns at the King George Rd. crossing of Green Brook ("Sebring's Mill").

ROUTE NO. 28. ... The commissioner may, as soon as he deems it expedient and practicable for the purpose of relieving traffic congestion on Routes No. 29 and No. 28, lay out and improve as part of the State highway system a road, of approximately three thousand feet in length, commencing at the intersection of a highway known as King George road with the southerly side line of present highway No. 29, located in the township of Greenbrook, Somerset county, and thence running southerly over said King George road and Green Brook road, or over said roads for as much of said distance as may be practicable, in said township of Greenbrook, Somerset county, and the borough of Middlesex, Middlesex county, and ending at State highway Route No. 28, in the borough of Middlesex, at a point known as "Mannion's Corner." Amended by L.1938, c. 17, p. 61, s. 1.

End photos

29 was defined in 1927 to run along a new high-speed alignment west from Newark to near Somerville, then south with
31 to Woods Tavern, west to Ringoes (on what is now CR 514 and Lambertville, and south along the Delaware River to Trenton. At some point, the alignment between Somerville and Ringoes was changed to absorb 12 to Flemington and multiplex with 30 from Flemington to Ringoes. Here's when each section was built or taken over by the state:

10B/10C/11/11AUS 1/US 9 to 271934
3A27 to Hillside Ave1933
1/1A/1BHillside Ave to 821932
282 to Mountain Ave, Springfield/Mountainside line1929
4Mountain Ave, Springfield/Mountainside line to Union/Somerset county line1930
9Union/Somerset county line to 5291930
8529 to 5251930
7525 to 281930
12B28 to Central RR of NJ1935
12Central RR of NJ to River Rd1935
12ARiver Rd to Old York Rd1934
11AOld York Rd to S Branch Raritan River1935
11S Branch Raritan River to 121934
(30) 512 to S Main St1929
(30) 1S Main St to 5141926
(30) 4514 to Ringoes1928
5Ringoes to south of Mount Airy1929
6south of Mount Airy to 5141929
6A514 to Lambertville/West Amwell line1941
takeoverLambertville/West Amwell line to Trenton north line1945

From the Trenton city line, 29 was signed along Sanhican Dr and W State St, probably ending at US 1 (Warren St) or US 206 (Broad St). Between 1952 and 1960, a new state road, 152, was built along the shore of the Delaware River in Trenton south from the State House area to Ferry St. with a continuation built by Mercer County. 152 became part of 29 by 1969, as part of the high-speed road in and north of Trenton along the river:

sectionlocationdatewhat it was previously
175 north of I-95 to W Upper Ferry Rd1961
13F/14AW Upper Ferry Rd to 175 (Sanhican Dr)1963
13B175 (Sanhican Dr) to Parkside Ave1957
13AParkside Ave to Willow St1956
11B/10C/12B/11AWillow St to South Warren St1969upgraded from 152

In the 1953 renumbering, 29 kept its number from Trenton to Lambertville, where it took over 29A north to Frenchtown. 29 within Frenchtown is and always has been town maintained; in the 1953 renumbering, it was designated as unsigned. The short section of 29 in Lambertville between 29A and S29 became unnumbered, and was soon numbered 165. From S29 north to the split with 31 in Somerville, 29 became part of US 202, and it is now 179 up to Larisons Corner. The rest of 29 east to Newark was taken off of US 22. Officially, both directions of 29 ran along S Main St in Lambertville until recently. But S Main St became one-way southbound for two blocks, so 165 northbound has TO NORTH 29 signs up, and 165 north is completely multiplexed with 29 north for all practical purposes. Recently, 29 was officially moved over a block to the east, making the length of 165 essentially multiplexed with 29 and thus unnecessary. As of 2007, NJ 29 South is signed straight along Main Street, but I don't know if Main St. is still state maintained or not.
In 1961, 175 was formed when the new alignment of 29 was built at Scudder Falls. 175 was extended south in 1963 when new 29 was built south into Trenton; 175 includes the short section of locally maintained Sanhican Dr inside Trenton. In 1990, a freeway was built as a western extension of I-195 across I-295 to Lamberton Rd and numbered as part of 29. Neither Lamberton Rd nor John Fitch Pkwy south of Ferry St were taken over by NJDOT; it's not clear how these were signed or whether they were unofficially considered part of 29, since 29 was defined to extend to the southern city border (as shown on contemporary maps). This was made moot, as a connection between the two state-maintained sections opened on 3/2/2002, including a cut-and-cover tunnel under a park.

ROUTE NO. 29. Newark, Lambertville, Trenton; via Newark, Hillside, Mountain Side, North Plainfield, Bound Brook, Ringoes, Lambertville, Washington Crossing and Trenton. Original bill.
ROUTE NO. 29. NEWARK, LAMBERTVILLE, TRENTON. Beginning on Route No. 25 in the vicinity of its crossing with Peddie ditch, thence crossing the Pennsylvania railroad and Frelinghuysen avenue to Hillside, passing in the vicinity of the junction of Elizabeth avenue and the Lehigh Valley railroad, thence through the township of Union, Springfield, Mountainside, and passing in the vicinity of North Plainfield and Bound Brook, Ringoes, Lambertville, Washington Crossing and Trenton. L. 1927, c. 319.
ROUTE NO. 29, Extension. Beginning at the southerly terminus of Route No. 29 at the westerly city line of Trenton, extending southeasterly through Trenton and connecting with the existing State highway system southeast of Trenton. L.1944, c. 37, p. 93, s. 1.
29: From Trenton City line, via former Route 29 to Lambertville and former Route 29A to Raven Rock. [unsigned] From Kingwood Station, via former Route 29A to Frenchtown. 1953 renumbering.
ROUTE NO. . Beginning in the vicinity of a major interchange of State Highway Routes Nos. 29 and 206, in the township of Hamilton, county of Mercer, and thence in a generally easterly direction to an intersection east of Route 130 with the State highway route described in chapter 111, laws of 1953, approved April 22, 1953. L.1965, c. 210, s. 1.

End photos
History (Steve Anderson)

ends at I-195/I-295 (I-195/I-295)
HamiltonRoute 29
TrentonRoute 29, John Fitch Pkwy
EwingJohn Fitch Pkwy, River Rd
HopewellRiver Rd
West AmwellRiver Rd
LambertvilleS Main St, Old York Rd, Bridge St, N Main St
DelawareDaniel Bray Hwy
StocktonS Main St, Risler St
DelawareDaniel Bray Hwy
KingwoodDaniel Bray Hwy, River Rd
FrenchtownTrenton Ave
ends at Bridge St/Race St (12)


29A was defined in 1929 to run north from
29 in Lambertville (which became 165 in the GR) along the Delaware River. Parts of it remained unimproved as of 1937, and it was not finished even by 1953 when it was renumbered as part of 29. The part in Frenchtown was never taken over by the state. Here's a table of when each part was taken over:

takeover165 to 5191951
takeover519 to Raven Rock1950
(29) 4A/5BRaven Rock to Kingwood Station1955
1Kingwood Station to Frenchtown1936

ROUTE NO. 29A. Beginning at a point on Route No. 29 in or near Lambertville, thence as near as practicable along the Delaware river, through Stockton, Prallsville, Raven Rock, Byram, Tumble Station to connect with Route No. 12 at Frenchtown. L. 1929, c. 241, p. 448, s. 1.

End photos


29B was planned in 1938 as an extension of
29A north from Frenchtown along the Delaware River to Milford, then over Musconetcong Mountain to 28 at Alpha. Much of this route (north of Milford) is now part of CR 519.

ROUTE NO. 29-B. Beginning at Frenchtown and thence by way of Milford, Spring Mills, Warren Glen and Alpha and connecting with Route No. 28 near Phillipsburg. L.1938, c. 183, p. 402, s. 1.


Bridge St in Lambertville was taken over by the state in 1949 as S29, running west from
29 to the Delaware River. It became part of US 202 in the 1953 renumbering, and is now part of 179.

End photos

US 30

US 30 enters from Pennsylvania on the Ben Franklin Bridge with
I-676 (which begins at the NJ border; the PA one is legislated differently). It runs east to a modified rotary with US 130 and 38, south on US 130, and southeast to Atlantic City. The BFB opened on 7/1/1926. It is unknown if US 30 was signed before that. If so, it probably used Federal St from the ferry docks to Broadway, where it joined the post-BFB alignment. Before 1929, US 30 went over the BFB and turned south on Broadway. It went east on Federal St for a block and turned southeast on Haddon Ave (where US 130 began straight ahead). Haddon Ave and Venner St/Old White Horse Pike leads into current US 30 at US 130. Between 1929 and 1972 (when I-676 was completed), US 30 came over the BFB and split into a one-way pair on Penn St and Linden St. This led into current US 30 near Federal St.
Before the GR, US 30 was 43 to 157 in Absecon (old S4) and 56 east of there. Sometime around 2000, the Straight Line Diagrams truncated US 30 from N Virginia Ave/Adriatic Ave to 87 in Atlantic City. The prior end was since restored to the SLDs. A while before that, US 30 may have gone southeast on Virginia Ave to end at Atlantic Ave.
A note about the original alignment in Philly: Jeff Kitsko's page has the second post-BFB alignment. The original alignment was Lancaster Ave, Market St, Broad St, Vine St, [Ridge Ave, Race St](Vine St), Ben Franklin Br. Before the BFB it likely used Market St to the ferry landing.

ROUTE NO. . Beginning at a point in State Highway Route No. 40 in the vicinity of Browning road circle, Pennsauken township, Camden county, New Jersey, and from thence by direct route to Delaware river bridge, said highway roughly paralleling State Highway Route No. 38 and Route No. 25 (entrance road) in the township of Pennsauken, and city of Camden, New Jersey. L.1946, c. 113, p. 541, s. 1.
U. S. 30: Camden Bridge Plaza, via former Route 25 to junction of Route U. S. 130, then coincident with Route U. S. 130 (former Route 45) to intersection of former Route 43 in Woodlynn, via former Route 43 to Absecon, via former Route 56 to Virginia Avenue in Atlantic City. 1953 renumbering.

End photos
History (Ben Franklin Bridge) (Steve Anderson)

enters Pennsylvania (I-676/US 30)
CamdenBen Franklin Br, Admiral Wilson Blvd
PennsaukenAdmiral Wilson Blvd, Crescent Blvd
CollingswoodCrescent Blvd, White Horse Pike
OaklynWhite Horse Pike
AudubonWhite Horse Pike
Haddon HeightsWhite Horse Pike
BarringtonWhite Horse Pike
LawnsideWhite Horse Pike
MagnoliaWhite Horse Pike
SomerdaleN White Horse Pike, S White Horse Pike
StratfordWhite Horse Pike
LindenwoldWhite Horse Pike
ClementonWhite Horse Pike
LindenwoldWhite Horse Pike
BerlinW White Horse Pike, S White Horse Pike
WaterfordWhite Horse Pike
ChesilhurstWhite Horse Pike
WinslowWhite Horse Pike
HammontonWhite Horse Pike
MullicaWhite Horse Pike
Egg Harbor CityWhite Horse Pike
GallowayWhite Horse Pike
AbseconW Absecon Blvd, E Absecon Blvd
Atlantic CityAbsecon Blvd
ends at N Virginia Ave/Adriatic Ave


30 became
69 in the GR. This became 31 on 5/15/1967. It has never been state-maintained inside Trenton.

ROUTE NO. 30. TRENTON TO BUTTZVILLE, by way of Pennington, Ringoes, Flemington, Clinton, Washington and Buttzville. L. 1927, c. 319.

Back to NJ State Routes main page
Back to the NJ Route Log main page
Back to NJ Roads
Back to Roads