Kansas Roads - K-181


The original K-181 bridge across South Fork Spillman Creek (six miles south of Hunter) was built in 1908 out of local limestone. The north (left in the 2nd photo) arch is actually 4 feet wider than the south arch. The deck didn't come in until 1946 when K-181 was designated, and the original bridge was narrower with stone parapets on each side. It was bypassed in 1993 to avoid the sharp curves on either end of the bridge; modern bridge technology allows skewed river crossings without a substantial cost increase.

Slightly improvised sign, SB in Hunter.

Who knew Kansas was this lumpy?

Now into Downs, where K-181 meets US 24/K-9.

K-181 Non-Roads in Sylvan Grove
Back to Kansas Roads
Back to Roads